Saturday, September 8, 2012

It takes the first step

Like a lot of you out there, I have a little 'extra' in the belly/hip area and I'm ready to get rid of it!  Weight loss (at least for me) is no fling though- it takes serious commitment, planning and follow through; otherwise, you shouldn't be surprised when you see the same number on the scale.  For a few weeks now, I've been brainstorming ways to structure a healthy weight loss plan and garnering the balls to step on my scale.  I literally avoided looking in the direction of this thing:


Until Yesterday.  I finally stepped up to the plate.  What I read wasn't actually as bad as I thought: 130.2.  I thought I had put on several more and was up to ~134-136.  I've developed a lot of muscle mass over the summer so I guess all that muscle burned up my massive caloric intake- yay!  Still, it doesn't undermine the fact that my comfortable weight is around 115 lbs.  I'm only 5' 2" and 130 lbs isn't huge by any means but it certainly doesn't feel like "me."  Everyone has their "comfortable" or "healthy" weight and sometimes it's over or under statistics.  I believe being at that weight which feels personally right for you is perfectly fine as long as it's achieved through healthy means.

So the reality now is I have 15 lbs to lose.  Many folks might think that's not too bad and I can easily do that by the year's end.  My reality however is that with my roller-coaster-diet-ridden history, my metabolism is a little j@cked up, and it's going to take a lot more work.  I need to feed my body the right things at the right times in the right quantities, continuously and without fail or excuses.  The truth is I have my self-doubts.  I'm pretty good about exercising but the food part is where I get stumped.  I know nutrition to the T, but my achilles heel is being self-controlled not to pig out and diligent enough in preparing my eats for the following day, every day.  No skipped day(s).  That's what it's going to take.  There is just no denying that.

So the question now is: How badly do I want it?

No comments:

Post a Comment